How to make Portuguese chicken burgers
Looking to give your burgers a tangy twist? Try out this recipe for fresh and delicious chicken burgers inspired by the flavours of Portugal for a healthy alternative to regular burgers at family dinners or your next BBQ.
These chicken burgers are quick and easy to make, using ingredients readily available from your local grocery store.
Ingredients (makes 4 burgers)
4 chicken thigh fillets
4 bread rolls
50g fresh salad leaves
1 large tomato
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
2 teaspoons chicken seasoning
1/3 cup mayonnaise
Olive oil cooking spray
Salt and pepper
- First prepare the topping by combining low fat mayonnaise and sweet chilli sauce in a bowl, covering and refrigerating for later.
- Pound the chicken fillets until they are 1 centimetre thick and coat all sides in a marinade made of olive oil, lemon juice and Portuguese chicken seasoning in a shallow dish. Then cover the chicken and marinade mixture and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your BBQ or chargrill on a medium-high setting and slice the bread rolls into halves.
- After 30 minutes, remove the chicken from the marinade and place it on the BBQ or chargrill pan. Grill each side for 2 to 3 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Lightly spray the bread roll halves with olive oil and toast with the cut sides facing up for 1 to 2 minutes, or until they turn golden.
- Spread part of your chilli mayonnaise mixture on the inside of the roll bases and layer your burgers with salad leaves, tomato slices and grilled chicken fillets.
- Use the remainder of the mayonnaise mixture as a topping, season with salt and pepper as preferred, add the roll tops and and serve your finished burgers with the rest of the salad leaves.