12 delicious dishes for an Aussie Christmas: Strawberry Shortcake
on 13 December 2016
On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...... the sweetest fruit in all the land, atop a mound of whipped cream and cake - heaven on a plate!
Strawberries are almost synonymous with Christmas in Australia, and this very simple recipe for strawberry shortcake from Taste of Home
is a wonderful way to feature fresh strawberries in your Christmas dessert spread. The real secret to success with this is to use the freshest strawberries and freshest cream that you can get your hands on. Really, that will make all the difference in the world to the outcome.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped cream
- 1-1/2 quarts fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
- In a bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to the creamed mixture. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Cut into nine servings. Split each serving horizontally and fill with whipped cream and strawberries. Replace top of cake; garnish with more berries and a dollop of whipped cream. Serve immediately.