How To Save Time While Spring Cleaning
Spring is the time to dust off those winter cobwebs!
We’ve awoken from our long, comfy slumber of oversized jumpers and one-pot dinners and are ready to welcome longer days and warmer weather.
Spring cleaning is not everyone’s idea of fun. Yet, as burdensome as it can be, it’s a great ritual to have.
While we all appreciate a clean house, what puts a lot of us off the concept of spring cleaning is the time it takes. So today, we’re sharing some spring cleaning tips that save time – so you can go back to enjoying that sunshine!
Plan your clean with a list
One of the easiest ways to save time when cleaning is to plan your clean room by room.
You may wish to start with the biggest living areas first, such as the kitchen or living room, and then make your way to smaller areas like the bedrooms and bathroom.
Make a list of the rooms you’ll be covering and under each room make a note of what needs to be done. For example:
- Load/unload dishwasher
- Wipe down and disinfect bench and cabinets
- Clean refrigerator door
- Wipe drawers and shelves in refrigerator
- Defrost freezer
- Dispose of expired food items
- Clean oven and stove top
- Clean microwave
- Clean dishwasher
- Mop floor
- Dust cabinets
- Wipe down table tops
- Clean TV screen and remote
- Get rid of clutter (old magazines, books, heavy blankets from winter etc.)
- Wash floor rugs and pillow covers
- Vacuum floor, curtains, sofa and cushions
- Dust shelves, bedside tables and drawers
- Wipe down glass and mirrored surfaces with glass cleaner or a DIY glass cleaner
- Reorganize closets
- Wash bedding
- Mop or vacuum floor
- Vacuum or wipe baseboards
- Vacuum curtains
- Clean out medicine cabinet
- Wash makeup brushes
- Wipe down vanity and sink
- Clean mirror
- Clean out bathtub
- Clean out shower
- Clean toilet
- Sweep, vacuum and mop floors
- Wash old towels, washcloths and bath mats
- Clean washing machine
- Wipe out laundry sink
- Add a laundry hamper deodorizer or make one yourself to remove odours
- Clean out dryer vent
- Wipe down surfaces and cabinets
- Reorganize laundry cabinet
- Stow away heavy winter raincoats or gumboots in the garage or storage
- Mop down floors
You can devote 30-minutes to an hour each room – or – if you are crunched for time, focus on one room per day. By the end of the week your home will be looking, smelling and feeling as good as new!
Get your equipment ready
Having your cleaning tools all ready to go before you start spring cleaning will make the job a whole lot quicker and easier!
Rather than having to fumble for the Spray and Wipe halfway through your clean (only to find there’s only a trickle left in the bottle!) it’s a good idea to first collect the items you need and then pop them all in the one spot so you have your own cleaner’s caddy to tow along.
We suggest bundling all your cleaning items up in a large towel or in a bucket so you can easily carry them from room to room!
Your essential spring cleaning equipment include:
- Vacuum cleaner
- Mop and bucket
- Window/glass cleaner
- Toilet cleaner
- Multipurpose cleaner
- Bathroom cleaner
- Microfibre cloth
- Window/glass cleaning cloth or lint-free cloth/tea-towel for a streak-free clean
- Your favourite music to make time go by even faster!
You can buy all these items and everything you need for your spring clean at Marketplace Gungahlin.
Spring into Marketplace Gungahlin for a post-clean treat!
After your spring clean, you’ll be sure to have an extra spring in your step!
Why not highlight your efforts – and your freshly cleaned home – by treating yourself to some new home decor? You can grab yourself some beautiful, spring-inspired incense to make your home smell delightful, some candles or even a spring-coloured throw to lighten up the living room. While you’re at it, grab some delicious takeaway (we don’t want to dirty those countertops, afterall!) and enjoy the spring atmosphere at Marketplace Gungahlin.