Amazing Ideas On How To Host The Ultimate Winter Party
Brrr! It may be cold outside but there’s still loads of fun to be had during winter!
Now that we are finally returning to a usual way of life since the pandemic began, we can look forward to planning and hosting parties and gatherings with the people we love.
Throwing a winter-themed party is a fun and entertaining way to get friends and family together and make the most of the fresh air and the almost magical feel winter has.
From a Christmas in July party to a cosy hot cocoa party, the following winter party ideas will warm you from the inside out and have you wishing the winter season will never end!
Winter Party Themes
Christmas in July
Love Christmas but can’t wait until December 25? Then now is the time to celebrate Christmas in July! Over the past few years, the idea of throwing a Christmas in July party has gained more popularity as Aussies discover the magic in having a winter-themed Christmas party. From giving gifts to putting up Christmas decorations, a Christmas in July party will be memorable for all those who attend.
Some Christmas in July party ideas include:
- Christmas in July crafts: Get the kids to help you create popcorn garlands, painted pinecones, Christmas wreaths and 3D papercraft snowflakes to use to decorate your space
- Christmas lights: String fairy lights along your outdoor patio area or in trees for a magical ambience
- Christmas themed activities: Treat your guests to a kris kringle, sing carols around a firepit, serve mulled wine and nominate someone to dress up as santa claus!
Winter Wonderland/Snow Special
If you have a birthday in winter or just want a good excuse to throw a party, then consider a Winter Wonderland or Snow Special themed party!
The idea of a Winter Wonderland party is to choose decorations, music and food that all embody the magic of winter. Think the magical world of Frozen the movie! It gives guests a mystical world to transport to and is a great way to make the best of the cooler days and nights.
Here are some ideas to help you decorate your house like Winter Wonderland:
- Fake snow: You can hire a snow making machine or make your own snow using baking soda & shaving cream or polystyrene and glitter
- An icicle archway: Welcome guests to the party by having them enter through a wintry archway! You can make your own or hire someone to make a balloon arch in icy colours such as blues, silvers and whites
- Wintry decorations: Decorate the space with fake snow, fairy lights, snowmen, snowflake decorations and winter wonderland flower arrangements such as silver painted branches and white lilies or orchids
- Winter-themed table decor: Choose tableware and cutlery in blues and silvers and place silver or gold Christmas table ornaments on the dining table along with candles and placemats for a special touch
Hot Cocoa Party/PJ Party
Hot chocolate and winter go hand in hand. There’s nothing more comforting than a hot cup of chocolatey goodness topped with marshmallows on a cold winter’s night.
If you love nothing more than rugging up in your winter woolies and sipping on a hot cocoa, then consider hosting the ultimate hot cocoa party/pyjama party! Invite guests to wear their comfiest, cosiest winter pyjamas and enjoy a night of hot chocolate and winter-themed movies!
Here are some fun hot chocolate party ideas:
- Decorate your own hot chocolate mugs: Grab some plain, inexpensive mugs along with an assortment of acrylic paints and glitter glue and have your guests decorate their own mugs!
- Watch winter themed movies on a projector screen: Pop some comfy beanbags and cushions on the floor and set up a projector screen to watch winter movie classics such as Frozen, Home Alone and Polar Express
- Have a hot chocolate making station: Lay out ingredients for guests to make their own hot chocolate (cocoa, candy canes, marshmallows, white and dark chocolate melts, whip cream, cinnamon, etc.) and provide recipe cards to follow
- Keep an ongoing supply of hot chocolate in a large thermos: For those who want to grab and go, fill a large thermos up with premade hot chocolate for endless refills!
You can find all you need to throw these winter themed parties at the Marketplace! Get your party stationery from Nextra Newsagency, your winter themed homewares from Homebase, your arts & crafts from Kmart and winter floral arrangements from Poetry in Flowers.
Winter Party Outfits
A winter party wouldn’t be complete without Christmas-themed jumpers. To make things more fun, have you and your guests dress up in an ugly Christmas sweater and then vote on whose sweater is the best!
If you’re throwing a winter party outdoors, you’ll need extra warmth. Take inspiration from the slopes and choose bright and colourful snowgear for a ski lodge winter party outfit theme!
Encourage guests to wear their warmest, comfiest pyjamas and accessories! Think flannel PJs, Christmas-themed PJs, onesies, thick wooly socks, beanies, mittens, ear muffs and fleece-lined leggings.
Marketplace Gungahlin has a range of clothing retailers for all your winter fashion needs. Pop into Big W and Kmart for winter PJs and your stylish winter snow gear and accessories from Ozmosis and Lowes.
Winter is all about comfort foods! You want to indulge guests in warming, moreish foods that will leave them filled with holiday cheer!
Woolworths has a range of winter recipes to choose from if you’re planning on having a sit-down dinner. For snacks and appetisers, think about creating a chocolate themed charcuterie board – filled with antipasto meats and fresh fruits like grapes and figs but topped off with blocks of dark chocolate and tempting chocolate wafers – yum! Other winter party food ideas include:
- Chocolate snowballs
- Gingerbread cookies
- Cinnamon donuts
- Pulled pork and beef sliders
- Cheese fondue fountain
- Oven baked pizzas
- Loaded potatoes
- Pasta bake
- Classic soft pretzels
- Caramel popcorn
- Spicy pumpkin dip
- Bread & butter pudding
- Mug cakes
- Hot chinese soups from Biang Biang
- Warm baked goods from Bakers Delight
- Hot grill plates from Ali Kebabs
- Pizza for the whole family from Crust Pizza
- Pick-and-mix hot pots from Zhangliang Malatang
- Hot fried chicken from Young & Frisky
- Portuguese chicken burgers from Oporto
Winter Party Games
To complete your ultimate winter party, top it off with some fun winter-themed games & activities! These party games can be modified to suit your space and age groups:
- Pass the parcel (making sure to wrap the gifts in Christmas wrapping paper or try this Giant Snowball idea!)
- Karaoke (“Let it Go!” is a must!)
- Croquet: Make it even more fun by playing at night under fairylights!
- Santa Says: a Christmasy take on the original “Simon Says”!
- Winter Sweep: A relay style race where players sweep their "snow" around a turn around point and back and then hand off to the next player on their team
- Campfire stories: Sit around the campfire and have each person come up with a sentence. By the time you make it around the circle, you’ll be in hysterics over the story you all came up with!
- For indoor fun, pick up the latest games at EB Games
Winter wonderland fun at Marketplace Gungahlin
Marketplace Gungahlin has everything you need to enjoy this winter season. From curling up on the couch with your favourite winter treat from Woolworths, to delicious hot comfort food from one of our eateries, and the latest in winter fashion from our many retailers. Come and visit us today to hibernate in style this winter!