Contact details and opening hours
Contact Mr Sushi
30 & 33 Hibberson St, Gungahlin, ACT 2912
Mr Sushi has been making sushi in Canberra for many years, serving up a variety of sushi and sashimi freshly made from high quality ingredients. The team at Mr Sushi pride themselves on using only the freshest ingredients and prepare everything from scratch, daily. Enjoy delicate and freshly made sushi hand rolls and sashimi at their lovely sushi bar.
Did you know?
Sushi dates back to at least the second century A.D, beginning as a method of preserving fish in China. The word “sushi” actually refers to rice that has been seasoned with vinegar, sugar, and salt, and contrary to popular belief, Sushi does not mean raw fish at all! Raw fish sliced and served by itself is called sashimi. Sushi is traditionally eaten with the fingers, in one or two bites, although many people use chopsticks.
Sushi is a broad category that includes:
- Sashimi - sliced fish that may be served raw, cooked or pickled, and is cut into 3-5 pieces. It's usually served with wasabi and ginger as accompaniments.
- Nigiri - sliced fish placed on top of two balls of rice. Sometimes a piece of nori (seaweed) is used to bind the fish to the rice and add flavour.
- Gunkan Nigiri: Gunkan means boat, and this sushi gets its name from the way the main ingredient eg caviar is held in place on top of the rice - it has a boat shape.
- Hosomaki - this rolled sushi with little rice, and nori wrapped around the outside of the roll.
- Futomaki - thick rolled sushi with a number of ingredients inside. Nori can be on the inside or wrapped around the outside and each piece is quite large.