Whether you’re a beginner just starting out or a seasoned athlete, Gungahlin Parkrun
is for anyone who wants to run. Held every Saturday at 8am, the run takes place at Yerrabi Pond, Wunderlich St, Gungahlin and all you have to do is show up! Just register
before your first run and bring a printed copy of your barcode so your time is recorded. There’s no pressure to run at a certain pace – run as fast or slow as you like! Afterwards, whether you’re celebrating a personal best or just keen to get a caffeine fix, the group heads to Da Nunzio
in Amaroo for a post-run coffee. Running tips
Just starting out? Here are a few tips to get you from the couch to the running track:
- With running, the hardest part can be taking the first step. Focus on what motivates you – whether it’s the amazing feeling you get after running, or you’re trying to lose weight to fit into a certain outfit, or you’re just trying to be more active. Remind yourself of your end goal and that will help you get off the couch!
- Start off slowly – if you’re new to running, you need to give your body time to work up to a faster pace, so you don't injure yourself or scare yourself off!
- Consistency is key – keep at it, try to run at least once a week (two to three times is ideal).
- Make sure you have rest days – it’s important to give your body time to recover so mix up easy days with your tough days.
- Rest if you need it – your body will let you know if it needs a rest, so make sure you listen and stop if it hurts. If you feel like you need a break, take one.
- Don’t compare yourself with others – there will always be people faster and fitter than you. Just focus on what you want to achieve and how you can improve your own performance.
- Running with other people can be a huge motivator – it ensures you turn up to a session and may spur you on to run a bit faster!
- Set yourself a goal – training for a particular event will give you something to work towards and keep you motivated.