School Lunchbox Ideas
on 10 February 2016
Making healthy school lunches that will actually get eaten can be a challenge, and no parent wants to find yesterday’s uneaten lunch in their child’s schoolbag! If you’re running out of inspiration, try our ideas for simple and healthy lunches your kids will actually eat!
A sandwich is an easy lunchbox option, but not all kids like them, particularly if they've been sitting in a warm lunchbox all morning. Variety is the key - you can give a humble sandwich a new lease of life by varying the fillings, spreads and types of bread used:
- Fillings: try different combinations, such as baked beans and cheese, mashed egg, ham and lettuce, corned beef, lettuce and tomato, or turkey, cranberry, lettuce and cheese.
- Spreads: experimenting with different spreads can revitalise a tired sandwich - try soft cream cheese, hummus, tzatziki, chutney, pesto or mashed avocado.
- Breads: try pita bread, sourdough, baguette, wrap or crackers.
Make your life easier by cooking a little extra at dinner time, and put a serve aside for school lunch the next day. Just be sure to include a freezer brick to keep it cool till lunchtime. Easy leftover dishes include:
Lunch box inspiration
- Roast meat such as chicken or beef, which can be added to a sandwich or salad
- Rissoles or patties can be added to a small salad
- Leftover pasta or rice salad
If you have time to cook these in advance, try out some of these tasty lunchbox fillers. Plan ahead and make these over the weekend, then freeze them so you can use as needed during the week:
- Mini quiche or frittata
- Zucchini slice
- Savoury muffin eg cheesy vegetable muffin
- Corn fritters
- Homemade mini pizza
Snacks can be healthy if you choose wisely. Give chip packets and chocolate bars a miss and try these simple ideas:
- Homemade pikelets or muffins
- Sliced pita bread or carrot sticks with a dip such as hummus
- Cheese and crackers
- Sliced fruit
- Rice crackers or pretzels
Grab all the ingredients you need at Woolworths
, your one-stop shop for bread, sandwich fillings, snacks and more.