12 delicious dishes for an Aussie Christmas: The perfect Aussie Pav
on 22 December 2016
On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...... the most perfect dessert you ever did see (or taste!)
If there's a dessert more iconically Aussie than a fruit-covered pavlova, we're yet to try it.Trust us, it's easier to pull off than it looks!
The perfect Aussie Pav
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup Caster sugar
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp White Mill cornflour
- 300ml Farmdale thickened cream
- Fresh fruit, washed and sliced (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries & peaches)
- Baking paper
- In a small electric mixer bowl, beat egg whites on medium until soft peaks form.
- Add vinegar, cornflour and gently sprinkle sugar, one teaspoon at a time, beating until stiff and glossy (approx. 10 mins)
- Trace map of Australia onto baking paper and cut out shape.
- Place cut-out onto a baking tray and spoon meringue mix inside the map.
- Smooth sides and top of meringue with a spatula, leaving the centre slightly hollowed.
- Bake in over at 130°C for 1 ½ hours, or until pavlova is dry to the touch.
- Turn off oven and leave pavlova to cool with oven door ajar.
- Once cooled, place pavlova on a serving plate.
- Use electric mixer to whip cream until soft peaks form.
- Gently spread whipped cream on top of meringue and decorate with fresh fruit.