Looking to give your burgers a tangy twist? Try out this recipe for fresh and delicious chicken burgers inspired by the flavours of Portugal for a healthy alternative to regular burgers at family dinners or your next BBQ.
These chicken burgers are quick and easy to make, using ingredients readily available from your local grocery store
. Ingredients (makes 4 burgers)
4 chicken thigh fillets
4 bread rolls
50g fresh salad leaves
1 large tomato
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
2 teaspoons chicken seasoning
1/3 cup mayonnaise
Olive oil cooking spray
Salt and pepper Preparation
- First prepare the topping by combining low fat mayonnaise and sweet chilli sauce in a bowl, covering and refrigerating for later.
- Pound the chicken fillets until they are 1 centimetre thick and coat all sides in a marinade made of olive oil, lemon juice and Portuguese chicken seasoning in a shallow dish. Then cover the chicken and marinade mixture and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your BBQ or chargrill on a medium-high setting and slice the bread rolls into halves.
- After 30 minutes, remove the chicken from the marinade and place it on the BBQ or chargrill pan. Grill each side for 2 to 3 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Lightly spray the bread roll halves with olive oil and toast with the cut sides facing up for 1 to 2 minutes, or until they turn golden.
- Spread part of your chilli mayonnaise mixture on the inside of the roll bases and layer your burgers with salad leaves, tomato slices and grilled chicken fillets.
- Use the remainder of the mayonnaise mixture as a topping, season with salt and pepper as preferred, add the roll tops and and serve your finished burgers with the rest of the salad leaves.