There's so much more to Canberra than politics. With its expansive open spaces and home to some of Australia's finest museums and cultural attractions – many of which offer hands-on programs for younger visitors – Canberra offers plenty to keep kids of all ages entertained and inspired. Educational activities
Canberra's museums are among the finest in Australia, with state-of-the-art exhibits covering a wide range of interests designed to inspire young minds. Don't miss:
- National Museum of Australia – Kids can get creative designing a futuristic house at K-Space and learn more about the museum's exhibits with storytelling, puppets and movies at The Story Place.
- Questacon – The National Science and Technology Centre – Featuring over 200 ever-changing exhibits, inquisitive minds will learn more about the world they live in when experiencing a realistic earthquake simulation, seeing how lightning strikes and more.
- Mini Q – Younger kids don't have to miss out on the action when exploring the multi-sensory environment of Questacon's younger sibling.
- National Dinosaur Museum – If your kids have dino fever, they'll have the chance to see their favourite reptiles up close at Australia's biggest dinosaur and fossil collection, with special events taking place throughout the year.
Whether your kids love all things cuddly, scaly or slimy, they'll have lots of opportunities to meet native and exotic animals on your Canberra trip when you head to:
- National Zoo and Aquarium – Just five minutes from the city centre, Australia's largest private zoo offers special tours for families and young children, with age-appropriate activities involving all their favourite critters.
- The Bird Walk – This walk-in aviary is home to more than 500 colourful birds from all over the world, and children can enjoy hand-feeding the friendly parrots.
- Canberra Reptile Zoo – The perfect day out for snake and lizard lovers, you'll learn all about these remarkable creatures and brave visitors can have their photo taken with a friendly python.
Canberra was designed by and for nature-lovers, and you'll never be far away from wide open spaces wherever you are in the capital. Some of the most popular outdoor activities for families and kids are:
- Corin Forest Mountain Retreat – Visit during the winter for skiing and tobogganing or at other times of the year to try out the high-speed bobsled, water slides and flying fox.
- R.E.A.L Fun Adventures – A great day out for adventure-loving families, enjoy exhilarating white water rafting and kayaking on the Murray and Murrumbidgee rivers, mountain biking and other activities in Canberra's most scenic spots.
- Row 'n' Ride Canoe and Bike Hire – To see the city at a more relaxing pace, the whole family can keep fit and explore Canberra's cycling trails and scenic waterways by bicycle and canoe, with helmets, locks and maps included.
Canberra has a packed events calendar too. Special visitor programs, festivals and other live events dedicated to the arts, sciences and sports take place all year round and are suitable for all the family – so whatever time of year you're visiting our dynamic city, check out what's on in Canberra
to get the most out of your trip.