On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...... a colourful, simple, summer-fresh salad that will stun the whole table.
Zucchini is a great summer vegetable, and it's celebrated here in a colourful and simple salad brought to you by Simply Recipes
. The Asian influence is provided by the rice vinegar and sesame oil, which lend a complexity that really lifts this simple dish into the realm of a delicacy.
Asian Zucchini Noodle Salad Ingredients
- 3 to 4 zucchinis (1 1/2 pounds total)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced and roughly chopped red cabbage
- 1 large carrot, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced then cut into 1-inch segments
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped, leaves and tender stems (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar*
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dark roasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- Pinch of red chili flakes
- Using a spiralizer or other spiral vegetable slicing tool, use the zucchini to make the zucchini noodles following manufacturer's directions. You should have 5 to 6 cups of "zoodles".
- Place in a colander set over a bowl and toss with salt.
- Let the noodles drain a bit of their excess moisture while you prep the other vegetables. Many of the noodles are quite long, so you'll want to cut them up a bit with scissors to make them easier to toss with the other vegetables.
- Place the zucchini noodles in a large bowl. Add the cabbage, carrot, bell pepper, onions, and cilantro.
- Whisk together in a medium bowl the seasoned rice vinegar, olive oil, dark sesame oil, minced garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Pour the dressing over the zucchini noodles and vegetables and gently toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.